Famous for their delicate texture and buttery taste, this classic yet simple to make biscuit is adored by many. This recipe calls for a Lemon buttercream filling, however you can mix up the flavour with orange, passionfruit, lemon myrtle, chocolate, espresso, caramel, whatever your taste buds fancy!
What you’ll need:
- 250gr Pure Butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ Cup Soft Icing Sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 1½ Cup Plain Flour
- ½ Cup Cornflour
- Preheat oven to 160°. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift icing sugar into clean and dry electric mixing bowl. Sift Plain flour and cornflour in a second clean and dry bowl, set aside.
- Cream butter, icing sugar, and vanilla essence until pale, light, and fluffy. Add flour mix a little bit at a time and stir well to combine.
- Clean and dry hands, then dust them with flour or icing sugar. Divide and roll biscuit dough, placing 2-3 cm apart on baking tray.
- Dust a fork with flour or icing sugar and lightly flatten each dough ball.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes, or until a pale-yellow colour. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
- 80gr Pure Butter, softened
- 1/3 Cup Soft Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Grated Lemon Rind
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Sift icing sugar into clean and dry electric mixing bowl. Add butter, and lemon rind. Cream until pale, light, and fluffy.
- Beat in juice.
- Spoon (rustic) or pipe (pretty) 1-2 teaspoons of buttercream filling onto flat side of half the shortbread biscuits.
- Top with second flat side (fork side up).
- Dust with a little icing sugar before serving.
- Can be stored in an airtight container in a cool dark place for up to 4 days.
- If you’re worried about heat, they can be stored in the fridge.